The reason why people are struggling with effective organisation of their time is related to their lifestyle and habits. We all have been given 24 hours per day and we are not able to extend this time limit. What we can change though is how to fill the time span we’ve got.
Have you ever been in a situation where you wished the day was longer? You would have more time for all the activities. However when people are unable to manage time within one day, the same would happen in case that the day would have more than 24 hours.
What are the reasons that lead us to disorganisation?
- Information and technology – thanks to modern technologies we mostly manage to save time, however modern inventions are at the same time a cause of distraction (eg. facebook)
- Unfinished tasks – people with poor concentration tend to switch from one task to another without completing the previous one. Having a clear plan and a vision helps to stick to one task only.
- Unorganized schedule – putting things in order and creating structured schedule is for many people a huge problem, even if you try to be well organized and keep up to your daily schedule, there is always something that comes up and hinders the completion of the task
- Laziness and convenience – you obviously know what it means when you are not in a mood to do something and you decide to have a rest first or begin with easier tasks
- You postpone activities – this point is closely related to the previous one. When you do not feel like working you tend to postpone things for later. At that moment we do not realize that later on there will be more tasks to face.
- Learn to say NO – it is important to learn how to say no otherwise you will end up overloaded with a number of tasks that nobody would possibly be able to complete, the way you say no affects the outcome – it’s all about learning the right way to say “NO”
- Exposure media – media are inseparable parts of our lives, they represent a source of information but we should be able to select only the information that is important for us and reduce the exposure to negative media that only makes us feel miserable.
- You are stressed – stress cannot be eliminated from our lives completely, it keeps us alert but in an extreme form it wastes our time and harms our health.
What will help you?
Start by doing a run down of how you invest your time. Carry around a notepad with you for a day. Record every time you start or stop an activity. This will give you a detailed look at how you spend your time. It should also give you an idea of where you can make improvements.